Usually when I am in a crunch like this, I turn on the TV and let my children watch Backyardigans and Sesame Street for. hours. And I end the day feeling ashamed for creating zombie children without social skills. So I thought I would be fun mom for a change and bring out the painting easel my mom got the girls for Christmas. It started well. I typed on my laptop and uttered oohs and ahs at the appropriate moments.
As I'm sure you know already, it did not end well. I started to zone into my work. And zone out from my kids. And let me just thank Melissa and Doug for washable paint. Because it ended up all over the walls and the door frames, and our stark white kitchen vanity.
The rest of the day didn't go that much better. Bonnie and Clyde over here kept themselves busy.
- They played "ocean" in their swimsuits. This game consisted of fleeing from a man-eating shark. It resulted in noisy, screaming sprints up and down the hall.
- The younger one whacked the older one on the nose with a closet rod. That resulted in a bloody nose and a clean off in the shower. Conveniently she was already in a bathing suit. I should note that the hitting was an accident. I believe it was part of some rowing in a boat charade.
- They used a loaf of bread to pretend they were flipping pancakes.
- They painted with nail polish on the wall.
- And while I was totally immersed in the computer screen, they snipped off a generous lock of my hair. I don't know how that happens.