Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yesterday, while I ran errands at our local Walmart, Grace stood on the front of the cart, facing me. She pointed at things she wanted, she attempted climbing into the bottom rack, she shifted her weight and generally made it difficult to steer.

We were very close to done when she pointed and loudly remarked, "Oh, she is not modest!"

First of all, don't ask me why she is already so acutely aware of modesty. I can probably attribute it to Karlee, my stylish teenage sister, who evaluates all her clothing choices with our family's modesty standard.

I haven't discussed it with Grace really. I mean, I buy all her clothes. And besides, I feel like we're still working on basics. Like sitting still during prayers.

But somehow, it has become her favorite "rule."

And there in Walmart I could feel my face flush. I sped up. And I kept my head down. And turned at the next corner.

And Grace and I had a very long discussion regarding other people's feelings. And how we need to be careful with them.

She seemed very confused during this discussion, so I reemphasized, "Grace, what if she heard you? How do you think she felt?"

Grace only responded, "She heard me?" And she said this several times.

Finally I asked, "Grace, who were you pointing at?"

She replied, "The girl in the photo."

Man, I hope the women behind me within earshot knew what she was pointing at.

No comments:

Post a Comment