Saturday, July 18, 2009

Caretaker

I didn't have any pets growing up. Although we went through occasional bouts of begging, my parents never seriously considered getting us even a fish. (No use even thinking about a dog.) We were taught to appreciate wildlife from a distance--specifically from behind the fence at the zoo. 

Not Brad.

So when my parents accidentally acquired an albino lizard, Brad was designated its temporary caretaker. (I don't know how you accidentally acquire an exotic reptile. Leave it to my parents.) 

At the time, it lived in this.

This was apparently unsuitable.

So Brad produced a temporary terrarium from a giant Rubbermaid bin, tile, rocks, bricks, and a pseudo-heat lamp.

He bought--and caught--live grasshoppers for the lizard's eating pleasure.

He even took it on walks. 

(Okay. They weren't strictly walks. Brad just set the lizard out in the grass and let him run around. But the mental image of Brad walking a leashed lizard is so much more amusing.)

I am thinking about this now because Brad is gone, taking care of our house. 

And I am feeling like a sunshine-less, grasshopper-less lizard. I am missing him taking care of me.

3 comments:

  1. House? What house?

    I love your writing Elise.

    Quit the job you hate and become a professional blogger, or writer, who cares. Just write. Cause you got talent baby.

    And I'm sorry Brad is gone. No fun when husband is not around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise, I just found your blog and I'm loving it!!! I have so many fun kid=memories with you in it -- heck, my parents liked your family so much they named me Susan Elise :) Just wanted to say Hey!!

    Here's my blog:
    theallisonfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew a tupperware bin was more suitable for a lizard than a cage? How cute! I bet your girls are loving it.

    I hope you get to see Brad soon! Not seeing your husband is no fun at all...although 'our house' is fun! Did you guys buy a house??

    ReplyDelete