Friday, December 4, 2009

Skulking

We went to the library yesterday.

I love the library.

Claire played in the children's playhouse, and Karlee read a book. Grace and I read "My Little Pony" stories. That is, I was helping Grace read them. We were not each reading our own "My Little Pony" story. Just so that's clear.

Grace was sounding out "said" when Claire toddled over and requested, "Go potty."

Claire is not toilet-trained. She just thinks it's a blast to sit and swing her legs. I was trying to politely deny her inconvenient request for toilet-time until she lifted her dress above her head to reveal her completely naked little patootie.

For real.

Claire had ditched a newly dirtied and pungent diaper in the children's playhouse at the public library. I will not go into detail. Your imagination will suffice.

I will say that the following factors lined up in my favor:
  1. The children's area was empty.
  2. Karlee was there to help me.
The remaining factors were not in my favor:
  1. The women's restroom was closed for cleaning. Not with an easel-like yellow sign, either--for that I would have trespassed. There was a freaking blockade across the door.
  2. The library does not seem to believe in trash cans.
Karlee helped immensely, carting children off to the car, allowing me to handle the mess. I finished and was relieved. I took a final survey of the scene.

I noticed TV's.

They are on the ceiling throughout the building.

They display live video feed from the children's section. I imagine it's to allow parents to leave their children and observe them while they look for their own books.
I wish I'd seen them earlier.

Do you think going back in a year would be too soon?

7 comments:

  1. Wow. I wish I could watch that video feed. I love your stories. And I think you are such a fabulous mom. Cool under pressure. I would have cried and sat with a dirty diaper in the playpen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to read that out loud to Steve. Hilarious! Though I'm sure it DEFINITELY wasn't at the time. I'm so glad you have such a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhhh, that's hysterical. Now. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dark glasses and a hat. That's all you need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had access to that video feed! That girl has a mind of her own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...That is all I can say. I love it. Yea I would find another library

    ReplyDelete
  7. too funny. I think all kids give us moments like that (Danica peed in a sandbox one day - thanks to an older friend telling her to)
    Most people would probably just laugh and remember when their kid did something similar.

    Hugs
    Christina

    ReplyDelete